6th Day - Three cities
In this day, we visited the Three Cities of Malta: Senglea (L-Isla), Cospicua (Bormla), and Vittoriosa (Il-Birgu).
To understand the history of Malta, it is important to know the significance of these three cities, which formed an area called Cottonera. This area was used as a refuge, a defensive bastion, and a home for the various peoples who conquered Malta throughout history.
The Knights of the Order of Malta were responsible for building these historic cities, and their influence is still visible in numerous buildings of the Three Cities.
Senglea
This city has managed to preserve its historical beauty despite the bombings suffered during World War II. The main attraction is Fort Saint Michael, built by the Knights of Malta in the mid-16th century. From here, one can enjoy views of Senglea’s harbor, Valletta, and nearby Vittoriosa.
Cospicua
Cospicua is the largest and newest of the Three Cities. In addition to hosting bastions and other defensive structures, it is home to the Church of the Immaculate Conception, which houses some highly valuable paintings.
Vittoriosa
Vittoriosa is the oldest of the Three Cities. Due to its excellent coastal position, the Knights of Malta turned it into Malta's capital until 1565. The main bastion of Vittoriosa is Fort St. Angelo, a testament to the city's historical military importance. However, the most significant building is located in the historic center: the Inquisitor’s Palace.
Inquisitor’s Palace
Built in 1530, the palace initially housed the Magna Curia, a court established in 1543, and continued to function as a courthouse until 1572, when the official headquarters of the Knights moved to Valletta.
In 1574, the Inquisition arrived in Malta, with Pietro Dusina as the first general inquisitor and apostolic delegate of the Maltese islands. The palace became his official residence and was also used as a prison.
With the arrival of the French in 1798, the Inquisition was abolished, and the palace was converted into the headquarters of the Cottonera district. The French did not make substantial modifications but removed all Catholic emblems.
Under British rule in 1814, the palace became a hospital and later a recreational club for officers stationed at the nearby barracks.
Around 1920, the palace was taken over by the Department of Museums and underwent restoration.
During World War II, the building was used as a convent by the Dominican friars after their main building was destroyed by bombings. Once the war ended, restoration work resumed, and in 1966, the palace was officially opened to the public.
Authors:
Carrera - D'Emaglie





Commenti
Posta un commento